* This is an abstract article of a Lecture from Master Yoshitomo Shibui, held April 2013.
To read Part I, access from here.
Maintain your body at good condition
Mostly business people come to salon for maintenance after they experienced or identified symptoms such as stiff shoulder… health checkup has no meaning if you are taking care of your body only after symptom appeared, and if you are putting yourself back to severe situation when you are well again.
Day-to-day cumulative effect would be reflected onto your body, vice versa, most of problems would be solved if you could be aware of your daily habits. Strong influence on human comes from “food”. It is said the couple look alike after long years of relation; it comes from having the same food for decades. Impact of the food is huge.
What we “like”, no matter how good or bad to our body, is easy to do while what we “don’t like”, even we know how good it is to our body, is so difficult to do. So, take it easy – do a little less of “likes but no good for body”, and add a little of “dislikes but good for body” – that way of balancing is important.
Concept of Wu-Xing and Food
Wu-Xing concept is based on the principle of all elements on the earth exist in taking balance inbetween. Generative and destructive cycle exist.
Generative cycle is the balanced relation to generate the other elements in order:
• Wood burns Fire
• Wood burns Fire
• Fire burns and ash will return to Earth
• Earth bears Metal
• Metal has Water on surface by condensation
• Water nourishes Wood
And when one element standing out, destructive cycle will occur:
• Wood increases and result barren Earth (soil)
• Earth dams Water
• Water extinguishes Fire
• Fire melts Metal
• Metal chops Wood
Our internal organs correspond to these five elements. Thus, generative and destructive cycle would be applied to our body too. I would skip the details on internal organs today but in relation with food (taste):
• Fire, heart, bitter food
• Earth, spleen, sweet food
• Metal, lung, spicy food
• Water, kidney, salty food
• Wood, liver, sour food
Each taste correspond to internal organs. For example, too much sweet food, related to “Earth”, destructive cycle becomes heavy on liver (diabetes). Too much salty food, related to “Water”, will result overload to the heart (high blood pressure, etc).
On top of this, adding the personality and mental condition, following response will appear.
• Fire, heart, bitter food, child-like lively state
• Earth, spleen, sweet food, mother-like caring state
• Metal, lung, spicy food, father-like leadership behavior
• Water, kidney, salty food, dutiful child-like attitude
• Wood, liver, sour food, decent adult-like attitude
For example, when we need to behave as leader, we will take spicy food naturally to take balance.
On the contrary, when you feel “I am pushing too much leadership elements upfront”, you might be taking spicy food ignorantly. In that case, using generative cycle, consciously taking sweet food for mental condition, “Metal” element will be balanced. (Often people who like spicy food dislike sweet things)
As you can see, being aware of taste can help taking better balance in your health, and mental condition.
* Master Shibui offers the service of Wu-Xing balance measurement using measuring machine and massage to make better balance. If you are interested, introduction to Master Shibui or therapist who studied under Master Shibui will be available:
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.